1. Write down the 10 best tips or lessons on or about your business, or your expertise. Keep these to one or two sentences each. #1 is your best then follow with 9 more. This can also be the number one and then number two and so on questions that you get asked.
2. Write out one paragraph for each tip or lesson, just one paragraph.
3. For each lesson expand that 1 paragraph to 3-4 paragraphs, flush out the concepts.
3B. Add an author bio along with a photo and contact info at the back of the book. Add a resource list at the back of the book, an intro for the front, a table of contents and any additional info that might apply to your book. If you offer programs or consulting, drop that in also, give readers a call to action. We are talking 28-36 pages when done. This isn’t a manifesto.
5. Print out a Pre-Edited Proof of your book, at the correct size and bind it with a spiral binding. This will give you an excellent sample of your book.
7. Create a Kindle e-book and cover
Format the insides of your book in MS Word or some similar word processing application such as Google Doc, Pages, or Scrivner for Kindle. Just work with the regular document and keep the formatting simple. For an ebook/Kindle, create the front cover using Canva.com, InDesign or the online Kindle Cover Creator and save it as a jpg. I have found 6” x 9” at 300dpi can work very well.
8. Create a KDP print book and cover
Using Adobe InDesign or MS Word set up your book page at 5.5” x 8.5” or 6” x 9” with ½” margins. Format your MS Word document in InDesign or in Word, add images and publish your book through KDP.Amazon.com. For a printed book on KDP, set up a full cover spread with the back, spine and front covers plus a 1/8” bleed all around. Your book needs to have a minimum of 24 pages. Try for 36 pages and you will do fine. KDP also has an online Cover Creator that can simplify the cover layout.
9. Create a Quick Print book and cover
For quick print books that you create through a local copy shop or Staples, set your page size up at 5 ½” x 8 ½”. This is an easy size to get printed at a quickie print shop. If you have access to Adobe InDesign that also works very well for creating a printed book. A local designer can help with this stage. Your PDF book is created from any of your source files. If you are using a local quick print shop like Staples you can leave out the spine. Set your cover spread up with a back cover and front cover at 8.5” x 11”.
10. Uploading and publishing your book. If sending your book to Kindle then save it as an html file for the web. If you are going to print, export or save as a pdf file. Also, export your cover file. Upload your book files to Kindle for ebook, or KDP.Amazon.com print, KDP is also the print-on-demand, self-publishing side of Amazon.com, or take the two pdf files to a local quick print shop. If hosting on-line at Amazon, add descriptions, author bio, categories, keywords, and price. Kindle has cover creator applications for ebook and print.